Colorado Family Vacation
to Estes Park
Summer travel is the best time to take a Colorado family vacation to Estes Park. This is a perfect destination for all families.
There is so much to do and enjoy with Rocky Mountain National Park right in your backyard. We have had some great Colorado vacations to Estes Park.
Enjoy a family vacation to Estes Park next summer!
Here are my travel tips for a Colorado family vacation to Estes Park:
Where to go:
Estes Park, Colorado
When to go:
How long to go:
Where to stay:
Mary’s Lake Lodge & Resort– Beautiful views in every direction. Condos, lodges, cabins available. A great salt water pool for the kids.
Brynwood on the River – Perfect location close to Downtown Estes Park and great cabins with kitchens.
Upscale and for older kids that like abnormal activity- The Stanley Hotel
The Estes Park Resort – rooms with views of Estes Lake.
YMCA of the Rockies – stay in the cabins but you must book early. They have a great kids camp program that you can sign up for individual days or for the week. There are great arts & crafts at the Design Center. Even if you don’t stay here, you should visit for the day (small daily fee for non-Y members).
Be sure to check the reviews on Trip Advisor!
Top things to do:
MUST VISIT: Rocky Mountain National Park
Hikes/Scenic Drives in Rocky Mountain Natl Park
- Drive the Trail Ridge Road.
- Hiking: Bear Lake and Sprague Lake are pretty accessible and short hikes for families.
- Cub Lake Trail is an easy hike for the entire family.
- Lily Lake is a ¾ mile paved hike and very scenic.
- Cascade Falls and Calypso Falls are not as busy and beautiful. This is a moderate hike to Calypso Falls.
- Flat Top Mountain Trail (families with teenagers looking for a challenge) is 8.8 miles and elevation is over 12,000 feet.
Check out this website for more information on hiking in Colorado.
Note: For any hiking, plan accordingly with lots of water and food and wear layered clothes for all conditions.
A few of my other favorite things to do in and around Estes Park:
- Drive the Peak to Peak Scenic Highway from Estes Park to Central City.
- Hike Lumpy Ridge – lots of climbing too for the experienced.
- Big Thompson Canyon is a very scenic area with fishing, hiking, shopping, dining and of course the canyon.
- Jackson Stables for a wonderful horseback ride.
- YMCA of the Rockies – Arts & Crafts at the Design Center is a great way to spend a rainy day.
- Shopping in Downtown Estes Park – there are so many little shops to check out.
Restaurant Recommendations while in Estes Park:
Cascades Restaurant at the Stanley Hotel
Cheesy Lees Amazing Pizza or Village Pizza are great family options.
A favorite for kids and the adults – Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
Enjoy a great Colorado family vacation to Estes Park!